To'kustars are an "ultra-rare" race of gigantic aliens that are created in galactic anomalies called "cosmic storms".
To'kustars are 120-feet-tall (~ 36.5 m) muscular humanoids with four-fingered hands, stripes on their torso and legs, spots on their waists, blade-like growths on their shoulders, and stump-like feet. Some of them have a pair of secondary eyes protruding on their cheeks.
To'kustars have pieces of armor made of an unknown cosmic material that comes in different colors such as red, blue, orange, purple, and green.
Although they generally have a white base color for their skin with details in a primary or secondary color, To'kustars can come in different colors. For example, To'kustars from Dimension 23 have light blue skin and Evil Way Big has grey skin.
Mutant To'kustars (dubbed "Way Bads") have monstrous appearances, some of which resemble skeletons and share this appearance with undead To'kustars.
Powers and abilities
To'kustars have extraordinary strength, even in proportion to their size, that allows them to defeat a normal-sized army with little effort. Technically speaking, they are strong enough to lift objects and creatures around their own size and hurl them into orbits from planets with an atmosphere as thick as Earth's.
To'kustars are extremely durable thanks to their thick skin, making them resistant to most attacks and extreme temperatures. Because their natural armor has metallic properties, they are also capable of deflecting a Chimera Sui Generis' optic lasers.
To'kustars can blast strong cosmic rays powerful enough to disintegrate a small fleet of spaceships, destroy planets in one shot, and even harm a hybrid Celestialsapien such as Alien V by crossing their arms together. These rays come in different colors such as pale blue, green, red, and orange.
To'kustars can probably absorb cosmic energy to some degree.
Due to the nature of their creation, To'kustars can survive in the vacuum of space.
In correlation with their origins, To'kustars can create and control cosmic storms, which can be used as both a habitat and a means of traveling through space.
To'kustars possess enhanced speed, and can leave trails in the same colors as their skin and armored parts. Additionally, To'kustars have a massive stride and can get to a destination quicker than other species.
According to Tetrax Shard, a To'kustar's head fin is considered a weak spot. Attacking or damaging head fins can causing paralyzing pain to the To'kustar.
To'kustars can be incapacitated by electricity, such as bio-electricity generated by a Nanomite.
Despite their immense strength, To'kustars are physically weaker than opponents with a strength level as sufficient as Trombipulor's Species at full size.
To'kustars can be lifted off of their feet by a tornado generated by a Kineceleran. Certain beings can also lift a To'kustar with their bare hands, such Vaxasaurians at base size and Evolved Vaxasaurians.
To'kustars can be affected by a pheromone generated by Gutrot's Species, causing them to follow whoever generates the pheromone around wherever they desire.
To'kustars can be subdued by the Hephestan Neuro Grip, but only if this move were to be performed by beings with hands bigger than Slapstrike's.
Culture and society
Normal To'kustars are nonviolent beings, and so are commonly known as "gentle giants". They live alone at the edge of the galaxy, silently guarding against threats from beyond.
Mutant To'kustars are feral and will attack anything on sight.
- Way Big: An Omnitrix transformation used by Ben Tennyson.
- Giant-Manster: An alternate version of Way Big used by the Ben Tennyson of Dimension 23.
- Way Big (Ben 10,000 Timeline): An alternate adult version of Way Big used by the original Ben 10,000.
- Evil Way Big: An alternate version of Way Big used by the Albedo of the Cosmic Destruction Timeline.
- Mad Way Big: An alternate version of Way Big used by Mad Ben.
- Benzarro Way Big: An alternate, undead version of Way Big used by Benzarro.
- Kevin Levin: The Prime Timeline's Kevin Levin was temporarily transformed into a To'kustar due to an Ultimatrix malfunction.
- Kevin 11 2.0: 12-year-old Kevin Levin of the Prime Timeline transformed into an amalgamation of Ben Tennyson's second set of 10 aliens, including Way Big.
- Ultimate Kevin: 17-year-old Kevin Levin of the Prime Timeline transformed into an amalgamation of every alien available in the Ultimatrix prior to traveling to the Forge of Creation, including Way Big.
- Azmuth: The Prime Timeline's Azmuth was temporarily transformed into a To'kustar dubbed "Evil Way Big" due to an Omnitrix malfunction.
- Big Chuck: A Biomnitrix transformation comprised of To'kustar and Perk Gourmand DNA.
- Way Bads: Artificial To'kustar-like monsters created by Dr. Psychobos using mutated To'kustar DNA.
- The name "To'kustar" is derived from the words "Tokusatsu", a Japanese term for live action film or television drama that makes heavy use of special effects, and "star".
- When the To'kustars were originally designed, the crew did not envision them with cosmic powers as the script for Secret of the Omnitrix simply called for a giant alien. To'kustars would eventually display cosmic powers beginning in Ultimate Alien.
- Regular To'kustars are based on the heroes of Ultraman franchise, whereas the Way Bads are inspired by Belial.
- For example, their cosmic ray attack is a homage to Ultraman's signature finishing move, The Specium Ray. The Ultraman franchise is also part of the "Tokusatsu" genre the To'kustars are named after.
- One of the male Way Bads heavily resembles the Eva Unit 0-1 from the Neon Genesis Evangelion franchise, the gothic female Way Bad resembles Scanty from the R-18 anime Panty Stocking with Garterbelt, and the three-eyed male Way Bad with the helmet-mask resembles Andromon from the Digimon franchise.
- In Ultimate Alien, To'kustars had to fire their cosmic rays by crossing their arms in an L shape. In Omniverse and the reboot, this has been slightly altered, as they must now cross their arms in an X shape.
- Because the colorful parts on a To'kustar's body have metallic properties, Osmosians can use their powers on these parts.
- Derrick J. Wyatt views To'kustars possessing enhanced speed as the result of a glitch with the Ultimatrix. However, Matt Wayne does not believe this to be true because he was unaware of the existence of "glitch powers".
- In 2020, Wyatt released full-color models of Giant-Manster and an alternate version of Way Big used by Benzarro.
- Before making their debut in the reboot series, it was confirmed that the Omnitrix in that series contains To'kustar DNA. Therefore, Way Big was one of the countless aliens whose DNA pod was glimpsed in the episode "Innervasion Part 5: High Override" before being temporarily available in the active playlist during Ben 10 Versus the Universe.
- According to the trivia version of the film Ben 10: Secret of the Omnitrix
- According to Matt Wayne
- According to Tom Perkins
- According to Derrick J. Wyatt
- According to Dwayne McDuffie
- According to Joe Kelly
- According to Duncan Rouleau
- According to Eugene Son