Emperor Palpatine - a.k.a. Darth Sidious and mostly known simply as "the Emperor" during his reign - is a Human Sith Lord and leader of the Galactic Empire that rules over his galaxy. He was seemingly killed by his apprentice, Darth Vader, but eventually returned and was ultimately killed by Rey Skywalker.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- The Empire Strikes Back (1980) (First appearance)
- Return of the Jedi (1983)
- The Phantom Menace (1999)
- Attack of the Clones (2002)
- Revenge of the Sith (2005)
- Star Wars: Clone Wars (2003)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008)
- Star Wars Rebels (2014)
- The Rise of Skywalker (2019)
Notes[edit | edit source]
- In The Empire Strikes Back, the Emperor appears only as a hologram and is portrayed physically by Elaine Baker (who was the wife of make-up designer Rick Baker) and voiced by Clive Revill. Chimpanzee eyes were digitally superimposed over Baker's face to give the character an inhuman appearance, showing how the dark side of the Force had disfigured him. In Return of the Jedi, the Emperor appears in person, now portrayed by Ian McDiarmid using heavy prosthetic make up.