Piscciss Volanns are an amphibious race from the artificial watery planet Piscciss.
Piscciss Volanns resemble humanoid anglerfish or catfish with gills, antennas on their head for deep sea diving, external teeth, bodies covered in protective scales, and claws on their appendages. On land, they can transform their fish tails into legs for walking.
Volanns have external jaws at a young age, though they become more internal as they get older.
Female Volanns look similar to males except they have more feminine builds, two slits on her chest, narrower eyes, smaller teeth, and larger fins. Certain females can look basically indistinguishable from males.
Much like Earth tiger sharks, Piscciss Volanns are opportunistic predators.
Powers and abilities
With their powerful tails and slimy scales, Piscciss Volanns are capable of incredible speed and agility in the water.
Volanns have huge mouths filled with rows of razor-sharp teeth that can chomp through almost anything, even through strong metal. Their lower jaw unhinges to allow them to swallow objects with extreme force in a single bite.
Volanns can use their claw-tipped fins to rip their enemies to shreds.
Much like an Earth angler fish, a Volann's luminescent danglers allow them to see in the darkest of depths. Alternatively, their eyes can sometimes glow.
Volanns are durable enough to withstand a remarkable amount of underwater pressure.
Besides tails, Volanns can use their loincloth wraps was a whip for combat on dry land.
Volanns can communicate with other fish, or at least the kind that can talk back.
Being creatures of the sea, Piscciss Volanns cannot stay on dry land too long and must keep their gills wet, or else they will dehydrate and die. Fortunately, Volanns can survive outside of water for longer periods of time as they age.
Volanns can be immobilized in ice, such as an Evolved Necrofriggian's ice flames.
Volanns are vulnerable to being thrown around by their tails.
Volanns are vulnerable to electricity.
A Volann's teeth are unable to bite certain materials such as a Petrosapien's skin.
There is a limit to a Volann's durability, as they can get knocked out by a Celestialsapien's lasers.
Volanns are vulnerable to suction forces equivalent to an interdimensional portal.
- The Omnitrix's Piscciss Volann representative is named Ripjaws, who first appeared in the original series episode "The Kraken". Ripjaws has appeared in almost every series except Alien Force.
- The Ben Tennyson of Dimension 23 has an equivalent of Ripjaws named Fish Fingers.
- Ripjaws has also been used by the Prime Timeline Kevin, the reboot version of Gwen 10, and the "What-If" Gwen 10 (albeit off-screen).
- Piscciss Volanns do not always need to wear water helmets to stay hydrated. For example, Volanns can take oxygen pills.
- The Piscciss Volanns share their home planet with another race, the Piscciss Premann, with whom they fought alongside during a war with the Pyronites.
- Piscciss Volanns were conceived as a replacement for a purple crocodile-like creature named Razorjaws once the crew for the original series decided to switch from superheroes to aliens.
- In 2020, Derrick J. Wyatt released a full-color model of Fish Fingers.
- Before making their debut in the reboot series, the presence of Piscciss Volanns was teased by concept artwork of Omnitrix DNA pods before it was eventually confirmed that the Omnitrix in that series contains Piscciss Volann DNA. Therefore, Ripjaws is one of the countless aliens whose DNA pod was glimpsed in the episode "Innervasion Part 5: High Override".
- This has been supported by the appearance of the Piscciss Volann Prisoner in the film Ben 10 Versus the Universe.
- Initially, there are no plans for Ripjaws to physically appear in the reboot. However, it was later revealed the statement was made to prevent spoilers for the movie event Alien X-Tinction.
- According to Dwayne McDuffie
- According to Matt Wayne
- According to Derrick J. Wyatt
- According to the trivia version of the episode "Hunted"
- According to Dave Johnson
- According to Duncan Rouleau