Opticoids are reptilian creatures with two-shaded skin and at least 17 eyes scattered across their muscular upper body. Their face consists of only a mouth and two pink, bat-like ears that dominate most of their head. An Opticoid's skeleton is made entirely out of stiff cartilage rather than bone.
Female Opticoids have slimmer builds, more voluptuous figures, and feminine eyelashes on their ears.
Although they traditionally have tan skin, Opticoids can come in other colors. For example, Opticoids from Dimension 23 have grey skin.
Powers and abilities
An Opticoid's most prominent ability is firing energy beams from any of the eyes on their torsos. These beams come in different colors that correlate with that of their eyes including green, blue, red, pink, and yellow.
An Opticoid's eyes can move throughout their bodies and merge with each other to create different types of beams, including freeze rays, fire beams, electric beams, and sticky goop streams.
By closing all of their other eyes, or by merging all of their eyes into a single area, a larger eye will open on an Opticoid's chest and launch a powerful optic blast. While doing so, they can stretch their eye out of their chest and move it towards targets.
An Opticoid's insect-like eyesight gives them 360-degree vision, making it extremely difficult to sneak up on them.
Opticoids possess enhanced hearing due to their bat-like ears, allowing them detect would-be attackers.
Opticoids possess enhanced strength, allowing them to throw enemies with ease.
If an irritant gets in their eyes, Opticoids will be unable to see clearly, in addition to their eyes burning. As they have eyes over the majority of their bodies, they become vulnerable to being exposed and hurt by irritants.
Despite their enhanced hearing, Opticoids are sensitive to high-pitched noises, such as those produced by an Evolved Sonorosian.
Culture and society
Opticoids have a tendency to make puns involving the word "eye" or organs related to the eye.
- The Omnitrix's Opticoid representative is named Eye Guy, who first appeared in the original series episode "Ben 10 vs. the Negative 10: Part 2". It is implied that he was originally unlocked off-screen prior to "Ben 10 vs. the Negative 10: Part 1". Eye Guy solely appears in the original series and Omniverse.
- The Ben Tennyson of Dimension 23 has an equivalent of Eye Guy, who first appeared in the Omniverse episode "And Then There Was Ben".
- The name Opticoid is a play on "optical".
- The appearance of an Opticoid's beams varies throughout the franchise. In original series and reboot, these beams resemble bolts of electricity. In Omniverse, however, the beams look straighter.
- It is confirmed that the Omnitrix from the Ben 10 reboot contains Opticoid DNA. Therefore, Eye Guy is one of the countless aliens whose DNA pod was glimpsed in the episode "Innervasion Part 5: High Override".
- This has been supported by concept artwork of Omnitrix genetic material showcasing a DNA pod belong to Eye Guy and the appearance of an Opticoid prisoner in the film Ben 10 Versus the Universe.