The Ectonurites are a race of ghostly aliens from the planet Anur Phaetos in the Anur System.
Ectonurites are ghost-like aliens with a frightening skeletal appearance which is concealed by their second skin layers. Without their secondary skin, they have dark blue skin, sharp teeth and claws, exposed bones in certain places, and sinister-looking skulls.
Powers and abilities
An Ectonurite's powers are reminiscent of several aspects of traditional ghosts from myths and lore such as flight, levitation, phasing through solid matter, intangibility, invisibility, and body possession.
Whenever an Ectonurite possesses another lifeform, they gain access to their hosts' natural powers. They are capable of possessing other beings such as Humans, Vreedles, Vladats, Necrofriggians, Atrocians, Polymorphs, and even Celestialsapiens and other Ectonurites.
Because they are alive in an unconventional sense, Ectonurites can survive in the vacuum of space. In fact, the darkness of space allows them to use their powers at their fullest potential.
An Ectonurite's individual eye can move to any part of their body, giving them 360° eyesight.
Ectonurites can open up their secondary skin to release tentacles. They can also project energy beams from their chests, even when at their full potential.
Ectonurites are capable of telekinetic abilities in which their hands are surrounded by a glowing bluish-purple aura.
Ectonurites can reposition their skulls, either physically or mentally.
Ectonurites have the remarkable ability to be remade from a molecule of DNA.
Like the other races in the Anur System, Ectonurites are immune to the effects of Corrodium and can see in the dark.
Ectonurites can alter their shape and deform like gas by making themselves into a grey, somewhat transparent smoke-like wispy form.
If Kevin were to use Phantomgeek, he would be more powerful than ordinary Ectonurites due the alterations made to the Antitrix.
Exposure to direct sunlight or something as bright as a Fusion Cuisine generated by Atomix's Species can destroy an Ectonurite unless they have a secondary skin. Similarly, they can be burnt by a Chimera Sui Generis' optic lasers or the light generated by a Prypiatosian-B.
An Ectonurite's intangibility is consciously used, which means they cannot use this ability while caught off-guard. Similarly, opponents who are also intangible will cancel out each other's intangibility.
Though it is said Ectonurites are one of the most frightening races in the Milky Way, they not as frightening as Toepick's Species. In fact, Ectonurites can be frightened by the faces of this species.
Ectonurites can be affected by magic, as there is a spell powerful enough to knock them out with one shot.
Certain substances can neutralize an Ectonurite's intangibility and invisibility, such as a special orange liquid used by Kraab. It is possible that Gutrot's Species can replicate this liquid in a gaseous form.
There are certain beings Ectonurites are unable to possess. For example, they cannot possess zombies because they lack minds of their own. They also cannot possess a species that generates their own light or solar-like radiation, such as Pyronites and Crystalsapiens. They are even unable to possess Dagon.
Ectonurites cannot survive on Anur Vladias, and are vulnerable to being possessed by other Ectonurites.
There are a number of weaknesses that Ectonuries are vulnerable to if they remain tangible. For example:
- They can be immobilized by ice, such as an Evolved Necrofriggian's ice flames.
- Like other living beings, they can be controlled by a Vladat's Corrupturas.
- They can be harmed by electricity, such as that generated by Transylians and Conductoids.
- They can be trapped in an Evolved Arachnichimp's webbing.
Culture and society
Ectonuries can use their ghost-like powers to slowly become rulers of every planet in the Anur System.
Ectonurites speak with eerie and creepy voices.
- The Omnitrix's Ectonurite representative is named Ghostfreak, who first appeared in the original series episode "Permanent Retirement". Ghostfreak has appeared in almost every series except the reboot.
- If the reboot version of Kevin 11 were to have a mutant hybrid equivalent of Ghostfreak, he would be named Phantomgeek.
- Ghostfreak has also been used by the Prime Timeline Kevin (albeit off-screen) and Bad Ben.
- The decision to have Ectonurites reposition their heads comes from Derrick J. Wyatt being unable to understand Zs'Skayr's head being upside-down all the time.
- Some unused designs for Undertown citizens include homages to the Hitchhiking Ghosts (Phineas the Traveler, Ezra the Skeleton, and Gus the Prisoner) from the Haunted Mansion franchise.
- In 2020, Wyatt released a full-color model of Ghostfreak's hypothetical appearance in Omniverse flashbacks.
- It is confirmed that the Omnitrix from the Ben 10 reboot contains Ectonurite DNA. Therefore, Ghostfreak is one of the countless aliens whose DNA pod was glimpsed in the episode "Innervasion Part 5: High Override".
- This has been supported by the appearance of Zs'Skayr in the film Ben 10 Versus the Universe.
- According to Derrick J. Wyatt
- According to the trivia version of the episode "Be Afraid of the Dark"
- According to Duncan Rouleau