- "There was a time when this whole quadrant belonged to us! What are we now? Twelve worlds and a thousand monuments to past glories. Living off memories and stories. Selling trinkets! My god, man, we've become a tourist attraction! "See the great Centauri Republic, open nine to five... Earth time!""
- ―Londo Mollari (Babylon 5 - The Gathering)
The Centauri are the one of the younger races of the galaxy, and originate from the planet Centauri Prime in Sectors of Known Space.
Biology[edit | edit source]
The Centauri are bipedal humanoids, in appearance similar enough to Humans that the species could easily pass for one another under casual inspection (apart from distinctive differences in hairstyling and attire). During The Third Age of Mankind, the average lifespan of Centauri was around 150 Earth years.
Outer reproductive organs of Centauri males are consisting of six tentacle-like genitals that extend out from the sides of the body and "fold" in over the solar plexus when not in use. The males can stretch the tentacles out to several feet. Females have six narrow receptive orifices, three on either side of the base of the spine, just above the hips. During sexual intercourse the male places the tentacles in the female orifices individually. The level of pleasure during intercourse increases with the number of insertions.
The cardio-vascular system of Centauri has two hearts instead of the single heart that humans have. The right heart is a solid mass of muscle which provides most of the force behind the body's blood circulation. The left heart is much more complex - this heart is made up of an intricate system of thousands of veins that help cleanse the blood in a manner similar to the human kidneys. As a result, a heart attack in the left heart is a very serious matter because the left heart is very difficult to repair. Their network of blood vessels is also somewhat different than in humans, as they do not have major blood vessels in their wrists.
The Centauri have extra-sensory perception to varying degrees, generally manifesting as precognitive abilities. Most Centauri have limited perceptions, enjoying only rare fleeting glimpses of the future. However, some Centauri will experience vivid prophetic dreams telling them of the time and the circumstances of their deaths. A rare few Centauri, exclusively female, have very strong prophetic abilities. These females are often given a special status in Centauri society that is much higher than would normally be given to a female.
Some Centauri have telepathic ability. Like humans, the degree of telepathic ability varies with the individual. The Centauri Emperor Turhan always had four female telepaths in his court, who had been trained since birth to be continuously mind-linked. When he traveled, two went with him and two remained at the royal palace, allowing rapid communication between the Emperor and Centauri Prime. The widow of Emperor Turhan, Lady Morella, is said to have had extensive telepathic abilities, to the point where she was considered a great prophet. She also acts as if she speaks for both herself and her late husband.
Culture & Society[edit | edit source]
Social Structure[edit | edit source]
The Centauri Noble Houses is at the centre of all means of power and influence within Centauri society and advancement is only possible for an individual if they are either a member of a House or connected to one. The patronage of a noble is the easiest and often only way for a commoner to achieve success and the trading of favors for mutual profit is par for the course. The more influence a noble is seen to have, the more sought after and consequently the more expensive are his favors.
The houses themselves constitute the Republic's chief societal unit and is formed from old families of varying power, wealth and influence. The Noble Houses are the "Old Guard" while the so-called "Great Houses" serve as a middle class, though many of the Republic's leadership come from such houses. The "Lesser Houses" make up the lower servant and working classes. Most Centauri are allied to one House or another by way of blood relation, arranged marriages or in service as retainers. The few families that have no such alliances - known as Houseless families - are considered beneath contempt. Such unfortunates often end up in such predicaments when they refuse to play the game of inter-house politics; gathering secrets, gaining leverage and trading in favors to form alliances and it's not uncommon for members of these families and women in particular to end up as contractual slaves. By law, any Centauri subject - even Golian - may own a Centauri as a slave but they must abide by the Republic's laws governing slavery. For example, an owner is considered responsible for the actions of their slave and are held accountable for any crime their slave might commit.
Traditionally, a Centauri's social standing is displayed by the length of their hair crests, with longer hair denoting a higher position while the shorter crest is intended only for the proletariat. This only applies to males. Centauri females, who have no social standing or official positions within society, typically shave their heads, sometimes with a knot or ponytail of hair at the crown.
This total lack of social standing for Centauri women is unique among the civilized races. While the noble women are often spoilt and pampered, the common women are a protected and treasured resource, often working behind the scenes and usually filling roles as teachers and nurturers for the young and old alike. The few Centauri women who are ambitious in political or industrial circles have a better chance to find opportunities beyond the borders of the Republic.
Male Centauri are typically the leaders and workers of society; serving in the military and doing all of the physically demanding tasks, with the commoners naturally tending to dominate the latter professions.
Marriages[edit | edit source]
Family and lineage is of great significance to the Centauri, most especially because of their rich traditions and thousands of years of recorded history. Marriages arranged in early childhood have been commonplace among the Noble Houses since around the 20th Century and earlier, with considerations such as the wealth, influence and House allegiances the respective families stand to gain from such unions are typically the only contributing factor. The prospective couple's feelings towards one another is considered irrelevant and love very rarely plays any part. Indeed, for most old school Centauri the two most important indicators of a the wealth and power of prospective spouse's family are how ugly and how old they are. Once common for all Centauri at all levels of society, in recent years such arranged marriages have fallen out of favor in all but the Noble Houses, with whom it is considered nothing short of a sacred duty.
As the Centauri are by tradition polygamists it's not unusual for a noble male to have several wives - all by arranged marriages - so much the better to cement more house alliances and acquire greater influence. If a noble family don't approve of a union, if for instance a male marries beneath his station to a commoner for such a trivial motivation as love, that family can force him to divorce with the threat of being cut off from the house. With the prospect of no money, position or title very few nobles, even the young foolish kind, are willing to endure life as a social outcast for the sake of a woman. Though divorces for marriages of passion are relatively simple, a divorce from an arranged marriage is much harder to come by and can often only be sought from the Emperor himself. Regardless, for the sake of appearances it's considered unseemly for a noble to be completely unwed and at least one wife is required to be at his side, if only for state affairs.
For the nobility, marriage ceremonies themselves are considered solemn, sober occasions filled with moments of reflection, regret, disagreement, argument and mutual recrimination. The thinking being that once you know that it cannot get any worse one can relax and "enjoy" the marriage. To celebrate a union with joy and exuberance is considered to be a very bad sign for the future. By contrast; state funerals are generally considered to be positively festive.
Customs[edit | edit source]
Fosterage is an old tradition by which one or more young nobles, with the permission of his and/or her parents, is taken in by a member of an allied house. While there, they are tutored in Centauri culture and the proper decorum for those of their rank. When they come of age, the noble that fostered him and/or her can decide that the young Centauri may choose whomever they wish to marry, regardless of their families' wishes. The more powerful the noble willing to take the child in, the greater honour on his or her family. Once a common practice, it has fallen out of use, but is still considered legally binding.
Under Centauri law, while a Centauri is still too young to speak for himself or herself they may fall under the guardianship of an adult, who need not necessarily be a relation, that speaks on all matters of importance for that child.
One of the most significant times for a Centauri male is his day of ascension and its thirtieth anniversary is considered especially significant. So much so that a sufficiently influential Centauri may even receive a congratulatory note from the Centauri Royal Court|Royal Court and an Imperial favor from the Emperor himself. The traditional celebration takes the form of a great festive party with the giving of gifts to the "ascendee." By tradition, attendees are required to attend barefoot. To do otherwise is considered a grave insult, though the ascendee can choose to overlook such an affront if offending party is a good and dear friend and/or a Narn.
After the Centauri made contact with Earth, the game of poker became extremely popular throughout the Republic. During the period from 2262-2278, when the Republic was estranged from all Interstellar Alliance members, including Earth, a cultural purge was attempted of all foreign influences, in line with the new policy of aggressive pro-Centauri isolationism, but poker was too beloved of the Centauri to give up. The cognitive dissonance was resolved by claiming that the Humans must have gotten the idea for poker from Centauri.
Religion[edit | edit source]
Centauri religion is polytheistic, centering around a Pantheon of Gods, each of which are believed to hold dominion over a given afterworld. Centauri belief follows that by sufficiently appeasing their patron god during their lifetime, that god will accept them into that afterlife in preparation for the time when all the "heavens" unite into one. Those that do not appease their gods sufficiently are thought to be reborn and must choose a new god, repeating the process until one accepts them. The pantheon itself is made up of a mixture of old household gods, deified Emperors and the Great Maker as the chief creator deity. As more Emperors are gradually elevated to godhood, the exact number of Centauri gods is given to change, but by 2258 the total stood around fifty - though even that is dependent on whether or not someone believes Zoog should be included.
Folklore[edit | edit source]
As with many Earth cultures, the Centauri have a number ancient a varied legends and folklore. According to some of these ancient folk tales if a great "higher spirit" of a reborn Centauri finds itself in a body totally and utterly unworthy of its presence, it can choose to cause the body to die so that it can then move on to a more worthy host. The body can however fight back and even prevail in a great struggle that, if the person survives, leave them permanently changed. Another tale tells of an evil monster called Rokbala, who hides under beds and swipes away the souls of naughty children.
Centauri Prime[edit | edit source]
Centauri Prime is known as the seat of government for the Centauri Republic, located in Sectors of Known Space Sector 130. Site of the Centauri Royal Palace and the legislative houses, the Centaurum and the Centauri Royal Court.
Centauri Prime is similar to Earth (but twice the size), with much of the surface covered in oceans, and having a Nitrogen-Oxygen rich atmosphere. The weather seems comparable to Earth as well, as there is at least seasonal changes, including snow over the capital city in winter.
Two vast oceans separate two of the primary clusters of continents, resulting in the development of the Centauri race on one and the Xon on the other. After centuries of brutal warfare and genocide, the Xon become extinct.
Capital City[edit | edit source]
The capital is not expressly stated, but is a large metropolis apparently located in one of the more temperate regions of Centauri Prime, not too far from a coast. Near the end of 2262, much of the capital was devastated by a joint Narn-Drazi fleet that fired on the planet, after the Drakh managed to send away or deactivate the planet's defenses. The city would be destroyed again by 2277, again thanks to the machinations of the Drakh. It would be rebuilt later under Emperor Cotto.
The Royal Palace[edit | edit source]
The seat and primary residence of the Emperor of the Centauri Republic and the Centauri Royal Court. A lavish palace with hundreds of rooms, gardens, courtyards, living quarters, and dungeons.
Senate Building[edit | edit source]
The location of the two governing bodies of the Centauri Republic, the Centaurum and the Populum.
Island of Selini[edit | edit source]
Selini was a barely inhabited island in the southern hemisphere on Centauri Prime. In 2261, during the latter part of the Second Shadow War, after the destruction of their capital on Z'ha'dum, the Shadows convinced Emperor Cartagia to allow them to establish a base there.
When Cartagia was assassinated, Prime Minister Londo Mollari detonated three fusion bombs secretly planted throughout the island, effectively destroying the island, and wiping out the Shadows presence there. The Drakh would remember this act when they enacted their revenge against the Centauri in the following years.
Other Locations[edit | edit source]
- Ghehana: City used by Kane as a base of operations for investigating Drakh activity in 2264.The Long Night of Centauri Prime
- City of Centallus: Birth city of Cartagia."Babylon 5 Personnel Files 4.0" (Season 4 DVD, Disc 6)
- Scoria Plains: An area of Centauri Prime located near the sea, on the far side of the River Tuwain from the Royal Palace. Site of the historic "Battle of the Scoria Plains" 20th_Century_and_earlier Circa 1062.
- Tuwain: A famous river located partway between the Royal Palace and the Scoria Plains, this is where Emperor Morell met Malia who would become the first Prophetess Supreme 20th_Century_and_earlierCirca 1062]].
- Twindle: Birth city of Vir Cotto.
Glossary of Centauri Terminology[edit | edit source]
- Brivari: Potent alcoholic beverage. Often reserved for special occasions.
- Chakat: A four legged, horned game animal.
- Couro Prido: Literally translates into English as "Proud Knives". It is the name given to an elite society of skilled Centauri swordsmen.
- Drome: A domesticated beast of burden, historically used for pulling loads, carriages and as mounted rides. They are still used in the fashion for ceremonial purposes by the Royal Court and the Noble Houses.
- Doola: A plant that produces a nut with a similar taste to Earth walnuts. Used in making snicks.
- Ducats: Small coins used as currency.
- Emperor: Honorific, hereditary. The supreme ruler of the Centauri Republic.
- Empress: A ceremonial title for the wife of the Emperor. While like all titles held by Centauri females it holds no official or political authority within the government, it nonetheless entitles the holder to a great deal of privilege and money.
- Flibie:A plant that produces a nut with a similar taste to Earth pecan nuts. Used in making snicks.
- Foolash: An edible plant, roughly similar to Earth spinach.
- Fosterage: An old tradition that was once a common practice it has fallen out of use, by which young nobles are taken in by a member of an allied house.
- Grand Fleet Admiral: Highest ranking fleet officer and a direct adviser to the Emperor. Grand Fleet Admiral Dromo held the position in 2262.
- Great Maker: Chief Deity and creator god of the Centauri Pantheon of Gods.
- Guardsman Elite: Highest ranking Imperial Guardsman and a direct advisor to the Emperor. Guardsman Elite Tavastani held the position in 2262.
- House: The chief societal unit of the Republic formed from old families of varying power, wealth and influence.
- Jala: Frothy, green and sweet alcoholic beverage, usually served hot.
- Japoti: A sweet pastry dish that is considered an excellent accompaniment to Hot Jala.
- Jurbeen: A popular recipe among minor functionaries of the Royal Court that features chunks of smoked Treel in a cheese and rikling sauce.
- Lady: Honorific. Technically the female equivalent of a Lord, though the title itself holds no actual power so much as a degree of respect and privilege the title holder is afforded. The title is often no more than a sigh of nobility.
- Leati: A creature known for it's fierceness.
- Leeb: A domesticated bovine-like creature, noted for it's fat, bloated appearance and it's tendency to do little else other than eat and stomp. Many Leeb were imported to the Narn Homeworld during the First Occupation, where it's since become the prime ingredient in dish called Leeb Loaf.
- Legator: Honorific. A member of the Centaurum.
- Lord: Honorific. Hereditary title, usually the head of a Noble House and a member of the Centaurum.
- Minister: Honorific. Appointed to the Royal Court, often by the Emperor himself to run a particular aspect of daily business. Notable Centauri Ministers have included Cholini of the Ministry of Defense, Minister of Protocol Milo Virini, Durano of the Ministry of Intelligence and Minister Virini.
- Paso: Literally translates into English as "crazed".
- Pinaldi: A savoury pastry dish filled with a variety of cheeses, foolash and irradiated watsuls. It was known to have been a particular favourite of Emperor Turhan.
- Prime Minister: Honorific. First in line of authority to the Emperor. During the reign of Emperor Turhan Malachi served as Prime Minister until his assassination 2259. The position was later filled by Londo Mollari in 2261 until he was crowned Emperor in 2262.
- Princess: Title bestowed on a daughter of the Emperor.
- Prince Regent: Honorific. Unlike a Regent, the title of Prince Regent appears to be used in a more ceremonial capacity, it is seemingly given to a Prince of the Royal Bloodline who is highest in the line of succession; such as the Prince Regent Dius Vintari.
- Prophetess: A female telepath and seer with a proven talent for prescience.
- Prophetess Supreme: Title bestowed by the Emperor himself to a chosen Prophetess who traditionally resides in Tuwain. The title is a great honor and comes with a great deal of money and privilege. The tradition dates back to Emperor Morell, whose life was saved by a Prophetess of Tuwain.
- Regent: Honorific. Old title of authority used in place of an Emperor when there is no clear line of succession or heir apparent.
- Rikling: An edible plant, roughly similar to Earth asparagus.
- Roopo balls: A dish, identical to Narn breen and Earth Swedish meatballs.
- Ruti pod: A vegetable-like plant similar to an Earth potato. Centauri grown ruti pods are noted for their distinctive crimson colouring.
- Skal Tura: Literally translates into English as "Silent Beast".
- Snicks: Sweetened doola nuts and flibies (tree nuts) with a crispy coating.
- Spoo: Gray meat dish, preferably aged. A staple of Centauri cuisine.
- Tawloo: A domesticated creature used as dairy animals and is a source of creams, cheeses and cooking fat that often form the basis of most Centauri recipes.
- Tersk: A thin iridescent material that is affected by body heat and chemistry.
- Treel: A blue and white fish-like creature raised as a food animal and used in several dishes including Jurbeen. Also served encrusted with pasta in a tawloo fat sauce.
- Val-too!: A toast, equivalent to the Earth phrases "Cheers" or "Prosit".
- Vocator: Honorific. A member of the Populum.
- Watsul: A plant that bares a fruit similar to Earth tomatoes.
- Xon: Extinct sapient species that evolved on Centauri Prime in parallel.
- Yikkiti: Domesticated egg laying animal.
- Zoolow: A blotchy skinned and ill tempered fish-like creature that is difficult to catch and traditionally served raw.