Appoplexians are felinoids with huge muscles from the planet Appoplexia.
Appoplexians resemble muscular bipedal tailless tigers with individual claws sprouting from each wrist. They have white, cream, or dark pink muzzles, hands, stomachs, chests and feet. They also have four-fingered hands, three-toed feet, quill-like eyebrows over each eye, and black stripes on their head, shoulders, back, and legs.
Though most Appoplexians have orange fur, some can have white fur if they evolve in colder climates. Examples include Appoplexians from Dimension 23 and Negative Rath.
Besides orange and white, Appoplexians can come in other colors. For example, Malice has dark orange fur, Dario has brown fur, Muck has maroon fur, and Skraprr Byakko has yellow fur.
Powers and abilities
Appoplexians have immense strength that gives them an advantage in combat, allowing them to power their way through many opponents and smash through tough defenses with relative ease. Technically speaking, they are strong enough to lift and throw a Cascan.
Appoplexians are durable enough to withstand a powerful laser at point-blank range without a single scratch. For Omni-Kix Appoplexians, their natural durability is increased thanks to their Omni-Kix armor.
An Appoplexian has a pair of sharp claws on their wrists that can both extend and retract. These claws are very durable, as they do not break off when bitten by Bashmouth's Species.
By stabbing the ground, Appoplexians can create a shock wave strong enough to burst a rock into rubble or knock something over.
An Appoplexian's wrist claws are fireproof, allowing them to cancel out a Pyronite's attacks.
Appoplexians possess enhanced dexterity, being able to operate an Earth cell phone.
Appoplexians have variable levels of intelligence, they can memorize law enforcement protocols despite their brains being hardwired for aggression.
Like ordinary Earth tigers, Appoplexians are capable of running on all fours. Technically speaking, they are fast enough to keep up with Transylians.
Omni-Kix Appoplexians have three sharp, retractable claws on each wrist, increasing the amount of damage they can cause.
Due to the nature of their mentality, the Appoplexians' greatest weakness is their highly aggressive temperament. Because of their obsession with violence and anger, they are difficult to stop once they start fighting.
An Appoplexian's temperaments can cause them to easily forget things and become easily distracted. This has been demonstrated with chasing after meat.
Because they are mentally cat-like, Appoplexians can also be distracted by and chase after dots of light and smaller animals such as mice and rabbits. Consequently, Appoplexians are vulnerable to being mind-controlled by a Metahuman with the same powers as Nyancy Chan.
Much like ordinary Earth cats, Appoplexians are hydrophobic, meaning that they afraid of water. However, certain Appoplexians are shown to merely hate water.
Certain high-pitched sounds are fatal to Appoplexians, meaning that their hearing is sensitive.
Appoplexians can be lifted by a species with as much strength as a Zaroffian.
There is a limit to an Appoplexian's dexterity, as they cannot write a text message properly.
Appoplexians can be easily overpowered by a Celestialsapien's telekinesis.
Appoplexians are vulnerable to being subdued by the Hephaestan Neuro Grip.
Appoplexians can be affected by magic, as there are spells that can constrain them in midair and thrash them abound using telekinetic-enhanced streams of water.
Culture and society
Appoplexians are powerful, argumentative, and extremely aggressive. They have the urge to fight anything that breathes because they believe that any problem can be solved by hitting it "a lot". This anger even extends to inanimate objects, and can lead to harm for both themselves and others.
Appoplexians have animalistic tendencies such as growling, roaring, and relentlessly seeking food when hungry. These traits may often cause them to follow their natural instincts under certain circumstances, which will subsequently override their mindset and completely distract them from whatever they might be doing.
A select few Appoplexians such as Skraprr Byakko and Negative Rath are more level-headed and reasonable, being able to respectably ask questions and listen to others without arguing. However, they can become aggressive, impulsive, and very eager to fight like the rest of their kind when provoked.
Appoplexians have had a few female leaders over the years.
Appoplexian bathroom habits are very similar to that of house cats and kitty litter boxes, which led to an incident on the Lewodans' home planet. Thanks to help from Ben Tennyson, the Appoplexians have recently formed a truce with the Lewodans.
Appoplexians are good friends with the Vaxasaurians due to their prowess in gladiatorial combat.
Despite their aggresive behavior, Appoplexians are more technology advanced than Humans. For example, they have the means of traveling through space and engaging with other species.
Because of their disjointedness, Appoplexians are prone to mixing up metaphors and beginning a conversation with the phrase, "Let me tell ya somethin'....!", followed by either a person's full name or position. For example, Rath refers to Khyber as "Mr. Self-Proclaimed Greatest Huntsman in the Galaxy", Vulkanus as "Baby Man", and Grandpa Max as "G-Pa Max".
Accented Appoplexians such as Mad Ben's Rath would say "Oi!" prior to their usual catchphrase.
Appoplexians such as Nega Ben's Rath would have a dour personality. Rather than their usual catchphrase, they would instead say "I don't wanna tell you anything."
Undead Appoplexians would act backwards and begin a conversation with the phrase, "Let me no tell you things!"
- The Omnitrix's Appoplexian representative is named Rath, who first appeared in the Alien Force episode "Con of Rath". Rath has appeared in every subsequent series.
- The Ben Tennyson of Dimension 23 has an equivalent of Rath named Tigerizer, who was confirmed to exist in the Omniverse episode "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Ben World: Part 2".
- Rath has also been used by the Prime Timeline Gwen and Azmuth, Albedo, Mad Ben, and the reboot version of Dr. Animo. Despite not appearing on-screen, it is confirmed that Benzarro and Nega Ben both have Rath available in their Omnitrixes.
- Most Appoplexians in the original continuity have a strong sense of shame. Rath, however, was technically a nudist due to an error with the Omnitrix. Fortunately, the Slimebiote Skurd was able to permanently correct this error, giving Rath a Luchador-based outfit.
- One of the trophies seen on Khyber's ship is an Appoplexian skeleton with a shattered skull.
- In 2020, Derrick J. Wyatt released a full-color model of an alternate version of Rath used by Ben 23 and asked fans to come up with a name for the transformation; the winning name was Tigerizer.
- Appoplexians were first teased to appear in the reboot series during the episode "Animorphosis". It was eventually confirmed that the Omnitrix in that series contains Appoplexian DNA. Therefore, Rath was one of the countless aliens whose DNA pod was glimpsed in the episode "Innervasion Part 5: High Override" before being added to the active playlist for Season 3, replacing Overflow.
- The triple wrist claws used by an Omni-Kix Appoplexian are modeled after the hand razors of Wolverine from Marvel Comics.
- According to Derrick J. Wyatt
- According to Duncan Rouleau