Anyone can suggest policy amendments Edit
Of course bureaucrats and admins have certain rights, but when it comes to policy amendments, all users have a say in how the wiki is run. Please leave any suggestions below in the following format.
Policy you want to change:
Why you want to change it:
Why you think your amendment would be beneficial to the community:
Once a user puts one of these up, the decision is put to a community vote. The voting format is as follows.
Your vote: (For, Against, Neutral)
After a week, the vote will be closed by a high-ranking member of the ASPF. The votes will be tallied, and the amendment will be passed, or denied. DISCLAIMER: If at any time an admiral of the ASPF disagrees with the outcome, they may change the decision of the outcome. This will be entitled to as Executive's Discretion. If an admiral wishes to invoke Executive's Discretion, there must be a reason for it. It will not be looked fondly upon any admiral that uses their Executive's Discretion to slide an outcome in their favor. It must be backed up by a strong argument, and be beneficial for the community. Read more about Executive's Decision here.
New Wiki theme Edit
It has been suggested that we adopt a new theme And i want to find out peoples views on this
- yes --Owen1983 17:40, May 10, 2012 (UTC)
IMV a new theme is a good idea but we need to make sure the them matches the diversity of the ASW --Owen1983 17:40, May 10, 2012 (UTC)
Write below this line.
This amendment for policy has been closed as successfulEdit
As a captain of the ASPF I am closing this policy in the favor of the posed amendment. If there are modifications to this amendment necessary, you must gain the permission of a high ranking ASPF member. --Insurgence: Like the Phoenix I rise again! 18:29, May 28, 2011 (UTC)
The policy that allows the adding of fan-based species on this wiki.
That all fan creations are moved to our sister wiki, Alien fanon.
I wish to change this policy, because I think it is too lenient on fan creations. This wiki is for aliens in movies, books, or other media. If the Alien fanon wiki didn't exist, I would be more lenient with this policy, however, seeing how it does exist, I suggest we move all of our fanon there.
I think this amendment would be beneficial to the community because we would have a more organized space. Since we are specialized with dealing with "real" aliens, I think it would be smart to move all of our fanon to our sister wiki, which is more specialized in dealing with them.
Your name: Holbenilord
Your vote: For
Your reason: To allow us to concentrate on the real wiki subject!
Owen1983 18:42, May 17, 2011 (UTC)
I vote for yes
my reason this wiki is for species from films TV Show and games I think fan articles belong in the alien fanon wiki
Somarinoa 23:29, May 17, 2011 (UTC)
I have to admit that I completely forgot that we even had a sister wiki of fanon. I haven't been there in a while, does it still run and/or run well enough? I originally revamped this wikia for all media (which it was originally "at the discretion of the founder" it appeared), and fanon I've remained relatively neutral on. I've over a thousand alien races on my own as a writer and didn't want to flood the wikia with my own junk. We have a sister wiki however, I believe we should use it. However, we might need to make a distinction, here—where do we draw the line? Is Snaiad and After Man fanon? What about the Nauceans? Both have been incredibly popular (the Nauceans got my "bossman" - it's creator, HydromancerX - a tour of Maxis during the creation of Spore; I didn't get taken with my Aurix because I was Alaskan and it was significantly more effort to reel me in). Do we count anything from Internet-based stuff not made by some company as fanon, no matter its popularity?
So, as it stands so long as Alien Fanon Wiki is up and running, I say yeah, let's go for it. But again, we might need a policy on distinction in the footsteps of this policy becoming law.
Discussion: You raise an incredibly interesting point there. I would have to agree with you that we would need to draw the line at some point. Perhaps, we allow more famous fanon on this wiki, while less famous user-generated fanon stays out? I think this rule could be lenient enough that it would be to the user's discretion whether to add it or not. More of a common-sense policy than anything else. Example:
Is it featured in media? Add it here!
Is it something that you yourself came up with? Add it to our sister wiki!
--Owen1983 18:51, January 11, 2012 (UTC)
Something rhat was baughr to my attention was that requests on ASW get forgotton and this is not the way we should function but we do and we need to change this. this amendment will insure that requests to ASPF members (staff) are given a timeline in my view this will improve the way the ASPF functions
your vote here
--Owen1983 17:01, February 10, 2012 (UTC) Yes we need more organisation
- I'm for it, but we still have to decide the length of the timeline : ) - BlueFrackle 12:41, February 19, 2012 (UTC)
This amendment for policy has been closed as successful Edit
Tighten up the rulesEdit
It has come to my attention that smut is beginning to invade the wiki.
We need to ensure that the ASW is a fun, inoffensive place to come and edit.
The plan is to allow pages of potentially-offensive content to only be allowed descriptiveness to a level befitting PG-13. This is both because the rule would otherwise be nebulous (the line of what is considered too offensive to belong would be up to the interpretor) and to continue the project's main goal to catalog all alien species to ever have appeared in media.
Your vote here
- --Owen1983 18:51, January 11, 2012 (UTC) yes
- --Somarinoa 19:24, January 11, 2012 (UTC) Yup, as discussed on my talk page, current bottom.
- --HolbenilordTalk₪ 19:56, January 11, 2012 (UTC) I agree with removing all offensive or abhorrent material.
- --BlueFrackle 22:32, January 11, 2012 (UTC) If you're talking omitting unpleasant details of alien anatomy or reproduction I totally agree; things can get pretty awkward with some of Nemo Ramjet's creations for example
- --Lord Phoenix at your service 20:54, January 12, 2012 (UTC) I agree completely. This is a smart resolution.
This Policy amendment has been closed as unsuccessfulEdit
Comments on pagesEdit
Your votes here
- --Owen1983 18:00, February 4, 2012 (UTC) no
- Not surprisingly: yes - BlueFrackle 19:51, February 4, 2012 (UTC)
- Against. Obviously. Lord Phoenix at your service 02:20, February 5, 2012 (UTC)
- I will vote against, at least for now. HolbenilordTalk₪ 09:53, February 5, 2012 (UTC)
- I am on the fence with this one...although if this is what we're talking about, I'm totally against. I keep getting emails from that page, and I have no idea why, and it's really obnoxious. -- Somarinoa 18:21, February 6, 2012 (UTC)
As users are aware we a discussing the said article some people think it should be removed and some people want to keep it
- No, species from distant futures still count as alien. -- Ralok
- No; but keep then on NAC as well, as they're relevant to both wikis -- BlueFrackle (talk) 15:13, November 15, 2012 (UTC)
- No my reason is that although the Eloi are from earth in are perspective they are Aliens. --Owen1983 (talk) 22:02, November 15, 2012 (UTC)
Every now and then when browsing I come across a page that is completely devoid of information: empty in the most literal sense. No image, not a single line of text, just the "write the first section of your article here" placeholder.
I've seen users creating these blank pages just so they can put them in categories, and whenever possible I try to add at least one sentence and an image to the page but of course, I can only do so when I have at least a passing familiarity with the subject in question, which is not always the case.
Believing that having blank pages is not only useless but detrimental to the quality of the wiki (as it creates "false blue links" and the illusion that we already have a page for X when we don't), I'd like to propose that all blank pages be deleted upon sight, unless they have just been created, in which case it would be advisable to wait one or two days to see if someone can develop them. Obviously, before deleting them we must also check its history to see if it isn't a formerly full page which has been the victim of vandalism.
- I'm for it, of course -- BlueFrackle (talk) 21:07, May 2, 2014 (UTC)
- The blank pages were mainly all due to a single contributor who I assumed was just trying to up their badge achievement progress. I found it heavily annoying because now we didn't know what pages we needed to add. Most if not all of what I saw on here deserve pages, but not blank pages. I think if you can add information to the page, it should have information added, along with the stub template, so we know it needs work. I would rather info get added than pages be deleted as it might deter people from ever adding the page in the future, when it needs to exist at some point. — Somarinoa (talk) 23:40, May 2, 2014 (UTC)
The Xenomorph articles are a mess and need to be fixedEdit
The Drone Xenomorph article is particularly bad. The word Drone means different things in different AVP games. In AVP: Evolution, Drone refers to the smooth-headed alien type from the movie Alien. In Aliens versus Predator 2, Drone refers to the ridge-headed alien type from the movie Aliens and the game describes how Drones can turn into Praetorians. In Aliens versus Predator: Extinction, Drone refers to a small brown alien that has a number of special abilities. The Drone Xenomorph article mixes up all these alien types. The Facts section is even worse. First it claims "According to H.R. Giger, all Drones are genderless". Actually, Giger never used the word Drone to describe his alien. Next, it claims "A Warrior can have a smooth and ridged dome but a Drone can only have a smooth dome". But then it contradicts this, saying "The Runner in Alien³ was technically a drone, due to its smooth dome". The majority of the article is just fan speculation, such as saying that Drones are more common than Warriors, saying that Drones are more calm and saying that Drones will enter battle after the Warriors have been killed. The whole article should be re-written under the name Lurker Xenomorph. The word Drone has been used for many different alien types, but the word Lurker from the Colonial Marines video game only refers to the smooth-headed type.
The Drone from the video game Aliens versus Predator: Extinction should have a separate article titled Drone Xenomorph (LV-742) to distinguish it from other alien types that use the name Drone.
The Warrior Xenomorph article also has problems. The word Warrior is sometimes used for ridge-headed aliens and sometimes used for smooth-headed aliens. The name of the article should be changed to Soldier Xenomorph. All references to Warriors having smooth heads should be removed because Lurkers are the ones with smooth heads and Soldiers are the ones with ridged heads.
The Hive Warrior article should be deleted. The Hive Warrior action figure is just an ordinary ridge-headed Warrior (a Soldier). The article describes Hive Warriors as taller, bulkiers and stronger than ordinary Warriors but that's just speculation.
The Red Xenomorph article should be merged with the Soldier Xenomorph article.
The Commander Xenomorph article should be deleted. There's no such thing as a Commander alien.
The Stalker Xenomorph article should be deleted. It's the same thing as the Lurker.
The Genetic Drone article should be merged with the Lurker Xenomorph article. AVP continues to use the Alien Resurrection design, even though the aliens in AVP are not supposed to be mutated.
Question about whether Outer 5th Dimensional Beings are Aliens or just an unknown speciesEdit
I can't find anywhere else to turn, and it looks like the forums on this wiki are not being used, but I have an urgent question on this page that I would really appreciate if it could be attended to. ― C.Syde (talk | contribs) 05:35, September 27, 2016 (UTC)
- Okay, I've just asked someone, and apparently Outer Dimensional Beings are classified as aliens, whether it be official or unofficial, since they are from a dimension that's not Earth, which would mean that they would be aliens, by name or not by name. Well, at least my question has been answered, even if no one on the internet was quick enough to answer it instead. ― C.Syde (talk | contribs) 01:29, September 28, 2016 (UTC)